(extract from Wikipedia)
Sanibel is a city in Lee County, Florida, United States, on Sanibel Island. The population was 6,064 at the 2000 census, with an estimated 2006 population of 6,066. It is part of the Cape Coral–Fort Myers Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The main town is at the eastern end of the island, while the community of Santiva (a portmanteau of Sanibel and Captiva) is at the northwestern end. The city was formed in 1974 as a direct result of the main causeway being built in 1963 to replace the ferry, and the rampant construction and development that occurred afterward. Developers sued over the new restrictions, but the city and citizens prevailed in their quest to protect the island. The only buildings above two to three stories now on the barrier island were built during that period.
- City of Sanibel: www.mysanibel.com
- Sanibel-Captiva Chamber of Commerce: www.sanibel-captiva.org
- JN “DING” Darling Wildlife Refuge: www.Fws.gov/dingdarling
- The Sanibel School: www.sanibelschool.com
- The Lee County School System: www.lee.k12.fl.us
- Big Arts: www.bigarts.org.
- Sanibel Public Library www.sanlib.org
- Golf and Tennis: Beachview www.beachviewgolfclub.com
- The Dunes www.dunesgolfsanibel.com
- Boat Rental Information : www.gocaptiva.com, www.adventuresinparadisesanibel.com
- Fishing : www.fishsanibel.com
- Bike and Segway Rentals : www.billysrentals.com
- Kayaks : www.tarponbayexplorers.com
- News : www.islandsunnews.com